Thursday, August 6, 2009

Time for that extended warrantee, first breakage

So, i go to Uwharrie and wheel around all day, advanced stuff. Hardly a dent! I didn't beat the rig at all.

So i'm back in Apex at the local do-it-yourself-car-wash making a deposit and i get the bright idea to clean the cracks, to polish it all up, make'er'shine.

The jeep is parked, engine off, radio playing. I pull the transfer case selector lever back, towards 4-high, so that i can clean the dirt out from-unda. Boom, the lever moves all the way back and is now free moving. Shit!

Lever broke, transfer case stuck in neutral. I fish around and find the cable and notice that yep, it's off the lever. So i do what any god fearing wheeler would do... Git'r'done!

So now i'm kinda stuck in 2 wheel. I'm like WTF mate it's summer and my 4x4 works about as good as our countries economic stimulus plan.

I call the stealership and make an appointment for 2pm. I ask the well meaning woman on the phone if she could verify they have stock of the part i need. "You're all set for Wed at 2", she says.

The big day arrives and low and behold i don't have an appointment. After i show her my Michigan-get-the-fuck-out-of-my-way member card she slips me in. Guess what? You guessed it, no part in stock.

So i say to the gentlemen lending a hand, "i'll just fix it myself". He informs me that will void my 100K lifetime warantee. So now i'm totally fucked because what if there is a trail i haven't ridden yet and i see it. What will i do? This economy is getting everyone down!

It's been a week. A whole damn week without 4high. 170+ hours without 4low. I'm calling another stealership today to see if they want the business cause this is really killing my buzz.

In the meantime it's 2,500miles on this oil and almost 5k on the Odo. I'll pacify myself by rotating in the 5th and changing the oil. God bless Alaska and the Middle East without which we couldn't possibly find another way to lubricate my internal combustion engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment